Bringing industry electrification to the next level
With the continuous development of electrification in many industries around the world, Electric Motor Driven (EMD) solutions are now increasing in power and speed, offering new opportunities across multiple applications. Large EMD systems traditionally included Large Load-Commutated Inverter (LCI) drives and synchronous motors. Several breakthroughs of innovation, such as the introduction of large power Voltage-Source Inverter (VSI) drives, have allowed to improve this configuration. GE's Power Conversion business has brought another layer of innovation with high speed induction motors up to 100MW.
More than 150 high speed induction motors references worldwide, up to 80 MW and 18,000 rpm
15 patents on high-speed technology
One of the world's largest induction motor at 80 MW for the LNG Industry
A solution offering advantages to the whole system
Compared with traditional synchronous motors fed by LCI, GE's turbo induction motors fed by VSI offer many advantages.
Improved network stability and grid interaction
- Low harmonics content, network filter not required
- No risk of inter-harmonics
- Easy management of the network power factor even in case of network configuration change
Simplified compressor configuration
- Larger speed range and higher Maximum Continuous Speed (MCS), means more flexibility in compressor design, better efficiency and smaller compressors
- Reduced torque ripple at shaft level
More efficient process
- Higher speed and larger speed range for various applications such as test benches
- No need of separation margin with network frequency thanks to the absence of inter-harmonics
- Low vibration, stable when passing through the first critical speed, simpler rotor, reduced number of critical speeds (no exciter)
- Higher reliability and availability (up to +48% uptime) due to the simplicity of the rotor (non-insulated squirrel cage) and compactness of the motor
- Reduced torque ripple at shaft level
- Reduced filtering for high power applications
- Smaller compressor
- Smaller motor, with less equipment (ex: 10 times less rotating parts on the induction full laminated rotor compared to a synchronous rotor)
- Reduced and lighter supporting structure needed as the induction motor is more compact: smaller footprint (-30%), lower weight (-33%)
- Higher drive-motor-compressor system efficiency, saving of 1% on energy consumption. For example, it can be evaluated at $2.8M for an 80 MW machine running full-time for 5 years
- Better power factor management, lower operating energy costs
- Less maintenance & less spare parts because of the simplicity of the induction motor
Power speed range
Rotating Machines Portfolio
Large Power Induction Motors (up to 40 MW)
Our induction motors are fully customizable to match our customers requirements at whatever speed, from the method of cooling to the smallest accessory.
Medium Power Induction Motors
Our medium power induction motors' frame and stator have been specially developed to offer a highly efficient cooling, then allowing higher power ratings with smaller frame sizes.
Advanced Induction Motor (AIM) for Naval applications
GE’s Advanced Induction Motor (AIM) solution is a multi-phase, power-dense induction motor specifically configured for naval marine propulsion applications.
Compact Induction Motor (CIM) for Naval applications
GE’s structured naval motor range for electric and hybrid-electric ship propulsion from 4 MW to 24 MW. Using GE Power Conversion’s deep domain know-how to bring efficiency benefits of electric power to naval ships.
High Speed Synchronous Motors 2 poles
Our 2-poles turbo motors range up to 100 MW and 6,500 rpm and they can be developed to meet specific customers’ needs in order to cover all compressor or pump operating points.
Synchronous Motors 4-6 poles
Our synchronous motors are designed and manufactured to operate efficiently in a technologically complex and regulated environment where reliability, availability, and ease of maintenance are critical.
Low Speed Synchronous Motors 8 poles and above
We offer a full range of horizontal and vertical synchronous motors, including direct-drive high torque density motors at speeds as low as 20 rpm.
Helping stabilize weak grids and enable higher penetration of renewable energy