- Experts from GE to provide a hands-on experience to some of their latest technologies developed for the marine industry
- GE is working towards making the industry more efficient through some of its service offerings, the new DP centre in Alexandra, Egypt being a recent example
Abu Dhabi - October 5, 2015 – As a leading innovator in the global marine industry, GE has been attentively listening to the industry’s demands and has been working towards providing the marine industry with the next generation of solutions which will help the industry move forward.
GE’s regional presence in Abu Dhabi dates back to 1975 and while we are committed to the global marine industry, our solutions and services are well placed to solve some of the issues faced by the regional marine industry. GE’s advanced marine solutions are optimized for an environmentally aware era and answer owners’ needs of higher fuel economy, higher flexibility and increased availability.
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) has been successfully operating four vessels with GE Marine’s diesel engines for 7 years. ADNOC also has ordered two vessels at Grandweld Shipyard in Dubai with GE’s diesel engines. These vessels will be delivered to ADNOC later this year.
Being established through a joint effort between GE and the Arab Academy for Science, Technology & Maritime Transport (AASTMT), GE Marine’s Dynamic Positioning Centre in Alexandra, Egypt has further demonstrated GE Marine’s commitment towards this region. This facility is in a group of only 12 such centres in the world that are qualified by the Nautical Institute (NI) to offer Sea Time Reduction courses and GE is proud to provide Class A simulators to the facility to enable realistic sea trainings for local mariners. Since its establishment, the academy has already trained over 400 students providing them accreditation to operate DP systems.
“With 400 GE Marine service teams worldwide, we are well equipped to serve this region and value Abu Dhabi as an important partner in one of GE’s fastest growing regions in the world,” said Tim Schweikert, VP, GE Marine, “GE Marine is pleased to highlight its newest offerings at SeaTrade 2015. We are showcasing some of the latest and most advanced technologies developed by GE and re-enforcing our commitment towards providing the best of GE Marine’s solutions to power, propel and position the Marine industry,”
In the presence of industry leaders, regional stakeholders and government authorities at the SeaTrade 2015 in Abu Dhabi, GE will be displaying the following technologies at booth M-30:
- Diesel Engine: For over 40 years, GE Marine has built dependable, long-lasting, and fuel-efficient medium-speed diesel engines. Our engines are found in some of the world’s most challenging industrial environments including tugboats in Turkey, fishing vessels in Peru, and ferries and offshore oil and gas support vessels in Norway. In total, more than 15,000 GE diesel engines are in service worldwide. The GE Marine L250 and V250 Series Diesel Engines meet the EPA’s stringent Tier 4 and IMO’s Tier III emission standards without the use of selective catalytic reduction (SCR) equipment and urea-based after treatment.
- SeaStream* DP: GE’s mariner-friendly package of marine controls and displays acknowledges the skills and high expectations of the mariners operating the dynamic positioning system, allowing them to re-focus on seamanship and ship handling rather than operating a complex system. It includes an ecomagination* energy efficient mode which is anticipated to deliver up to 10% or potentially more in fuel savings while reducing NOx by up to 20%, depending on environmental factors and exact operational profile.
“GE has deep expertise in the industry and has a rich history of providing successful solutions. We have combined our experience and ingenuity into developing these newest technologies which are set to be the benchmarks in their segments,” concluded Schweikert, GE Marine.
* Indicates a trademark of the General Electric Company and/or its subsidiaries.
GE (NYSE: GE) is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. GE is organized around a global exchange of knowledge, the "GE Store," through which each business shares and accesses the same technology, markets, structure and intellect. Each invention further fuels innovation and application across our industrial sectors. With people, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for customers by speaking the language of industry. www.ge.com
About GE Marine
GE Marine offers solutions dedicated to the merchant, offshore and naval industries, helping customers drive operational excellence, efficiency and environmental responsibility. Smarter engineering coupled with GE Marine’s latest technologies ensures the best solutions to suit the precise needs of each ship, powering, propelling and positioning a more efficient, safer and cleaner marine industry.
For more information, please contact:
Global Communication Leader
GE Power Conversion
+33 1 53 59 28 44
+33 6 20 71 14 21
External Relations Manager
T: +1 312 610 8486
M: +1 202 412 3924