- GE brings together the most advanced subsea compression and power distribution technologies to enable innovation in subsea oil and gas production.
- A great example of the GE Store – GE’s initiative to capitalize the global exchange of knowledge, technology and tools across the company
Sandvika, Norway - 30 August, 2016 - Following an extensive, multi-year test program of Shell’s Ormen Lange Pilot, GE Oil & Gas is proud to announce that A/S Norske Shell has successfully completed system testing of the world’s first subsea gas compression system with a full subsea power supply, transmission and distribution system that further advances the development of hydrocarbon processing on the seabed.
The Ormen Lange Pilot was a first of its kind and was designed to test a full scale integrated subsea compression system in submerged conditions with real hydrocarbons. It has been run by A/S Norske Shell and its license partners Petoro, Statoil, Dong and ExxonMobil since 2011 at Shell’s test facility at Nyhamna in Norway where the gas from the Ormen Lange field reaches shore.
GE has been a key collaboration partner with Shell in the development of the compression system and supplied a number of the ground breaking technologies, including GE Oil & Gas’ Blue-CTM compressor – a centrifugal compressor specifically designed for subsea - and the world’s first subsea power supply, transmission and distribution system. The system enables operators to conduct gas compression on the seabed, reducing the need to introduce additional power generation on nearby offshore facilities.
Sitting at the heart of the compressor is the electrical package provided by GE’s Power Conversion business and due to GE’s deep domain expertise in electrical engineering, the high-speed motor and the high power drive provided are capable of operating hundreds of meters below the sea level reliably.
Neil Saunders, President & CEO, Subsea Systems & Drilling, GE Oil & Gas, said: “We are very proud of what we have achieved in partnership with Shell. We leveraged the GE Store, using our domain expertise and heritage across the GE portfolio, including rotating machinery, power electronics, high voltage designs and subsea production systems. Today, we are designing the next generation of compact and modular subsea compression systems to unlock new possibilities for power and processing worldwide”.
The GE technologies that were tested as part of the Ormen Lange Pilot include:
- Blue-CTM subsea compressor – a 12.5MW, fully marinized, vertically orientated centrifugal compressor at the heart of the system
- Subsea Power Supply, Transmission and Distribution System
- Subsea Switchgear (SWG) – supplies power and protection to multiple loads from a single cable to shore, providing significant savings in cable and installation costs.
- Subsea Variable Speed Drives (VSD) - takes output from the subsea switchgear, and provides the optimal frequency for the individual supply lines feeding the compressor and pump.
- Subsea Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) – supplies power and protection to all the subsea compression station auxiliary loads, ensuring continuous supply of power during system disruptions to protect the subsea compressor and ensure a safe shut-down process.
- MECON Dry-Mate Connector 145/700 - enables power transmission at 145kV for a 120km tie-back distance.
- IFOKUS Electric Actuators – anti-surge actuators developed for 80kN fail open operation.
- NAXYS Acoustic Leak Detection System - used during the submerged pit testing to monitor for potential gas leakages as well as operation of rotating machinery and power modules.
GE is committed to continue to advance subsea technology across its portfolio, for the North Sea and all over the world, through a close collaboration with its customers as the industry continues to demand greater efficiencies, effectiveness, cost and reliability.
GE (NYSE: GE) is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. GE is organized around a global exchange of knowledge, the "GE Store," through which each business shares and accesses the same technology, markets, structure and intellect. Each invention further fuels innovation and application across our industrial sectors. With people, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for customers by speaking the language of industry. www.ge.com
About GE Power Conversion
About GE Oil & Gas:
GE Oil & Gas is inventing the next industrial era in the oil and gas sector. In our labs and factories, and in the field, we constantly push the boundaries of technology to solve today’s toughest operational & commercial challenges. We have the skills, knowledge and technical expertise to bring together the physical and digital worlds to fuel the future. Follow us on Twitter @GE_OilandGas or visit us at www.geoilandgas.com.
For more information, contact:
GE Power Conversion, Global Communication Leader
+33 1 53 59 28 44
+33 6 20 71 14 21
Ivar Simensen Rachel Kelly
GE Oil & Gas Hill + Knowlton Strategies
+47 67213689 +44 (0)207 413 3008
+47 46402317 +44 (0)7505 956454